Monday 15 June 2015

Monitoring the Russian Air Force

A friend of mine cuts out newspaper articles she thinks will interest me, and a few weeks ago she gave me one about a Russian Air Force Tupolev bomber that had penetrated UK airspace in Cornwall. Ever since, I have been fascinated by the idea of hearing the Russian military on HF and more recently I have some info on the planesandstuff blog and the UDXF yahoo group with freqs etc.

My first few catches have been on the 11mhz band:

11354.0USB voice 11jun15 1531utc caught the russian numbers 364 clg 362
11360.0USB voice 12jun15 0907utc "Davelenie (Taganrog air base), ya Korsar (Pskov air base), priyom (over) it actually sounded like "yakarsar" but a bit of playing around on google translator audio produced the Russian sounds "yakarsar" when I entered "I am Korsar" over in the English box.

As someone who studied linguistics and language at college I find this aspect of the radio especially enjoyable. Pity I chose Spanish and not Russian!

Now I have to start getting my head around Russian numbers.

I will try to keep my logs on the blog for a while in case it helps.

French Military Log:
8992.0USB voice 06jun15 0937UTC wkg Boeing C135 tanker #740 with selcal check on MSFL




3 comments:

  1. Russians soften "O" in spoken form and it sounds more like "A", that's where it comes from. Same with "E" which often sounds like "I". So you guessed it correct.

    Davlenie (давление) means "pressure" or "force". Russian numbers are like that:

    Один (adin) - one
    Два (dva) - two
    Три (tri) - three
    Четыре (chetairie) - four
    Пять (pyat) - five
    Шесть (shiest) - six
    Семь (sem) - seven
    Восемь (vosiem) - eight
    Девять (dieviat) - nine
    Нула (nula) - zero

    In brackets is the word as its pronounced, not the transliterated version.

    P.S not a Russian myself, but our languages are close (my native language being Slavic) and I've studied Russian for several years in school.

    I am also occasionally listening to Russian HF comms, but mostly their Air Force ones, they are received strong enough here through the noise in the city with my humble 1m wideband loop (with the LZ1AQ amplifier).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comments and help with the Russian pronunciation! Much appreciated. I would love a wideband loop for the noise at this QTH, but the Wellbrook is the only broadband one I know of and it is way too expensive for me. I guess yours is a homemade loop? I had a look at trying to make one, but it was way beyond my skills.

      Thank you again. For helping and taking the time to comment. 73 Adam

      Delete
  2. Yes, mine is a DIY one - a quick and dirty version but it works rather good. Materials cost less than 10 EUR (including the PVC mast) and it took me less than 1 hour to assemble it, that given I am lame with such stuff and lack the proper tools. It is made from a PE-AL heating pipe. The design is available on the active-antenna.eu page and it is rather easy to assemble. Unfortunately, I don't have photos of it right now, but I can take some if you wish.

    ReplyDelete