Wednesday 30 March 2022

Orion Nebula with Celestron Travelscope 70mm and Smartphone

 This is a photo of the Orion nebula taken with my Celestron 70mm Travelscope and Huawei P20 Lite. No stacking, no tracking, just a simple 2.5sec exposure. Great fun! Next project is to try to capture a moving video of the Moon and also in the autumn a planet, hopefully Saturn. If I'm lucky enough to capture the latter I shall try to use the PIPP program and Deep Sky Stacker to create a photo. 


I've seen some cool videos on YouTube of people using a budget 70 mm (and even a low-cost 60mm) to obtain photos and videos of Saturn where surprisingly the rings are discernible. 


I tried taking multiple exposures of the Orion Nebula and stacking them in DSS, but despite multiple attempts none of the final images looked half as good as the single shot taken on the camera. 


As you can probably tell I don't want to get into the hobby in too much depth, but it has been great fun to dip my feet in with budget equipment and obtain results that I have found pleasing. 



2 comments:

  1. Nice photo. I had a couple of good scopes in the distant past. No photos, though. Now try working the satellite "birds". 73 de Dick F8WBD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Dick. Great to hear from you. Yes a friend of mine has just had a successful qso with the ISS Verified by qsl and he is over the moon!

    ReplyDelete