Monday 23 January 2023

Washing Up Bowl Micro Pond Oxygenating Plant - Watercress

 


The above are two photographs of my washing up bowl pond! It has been an enjoyable project and makes a nice feature in the garden. For year one I bought some Starwort online, and it did a super job of keeping the water clear and fresh. But by year 2 it was looking a bit sorry for itself. After reading you could use watercress from the supermarket, and as it was under £2, I decided to give it a try. You just buy the bag of salad watercress (the big-leaved stuff and not the "mustard & cress tiny stuff) and put it in the water, floating freely. There is no soil in my pond, but some pebbles, and I hinestly didn't think it would work. But it did, and it does, and within a few days the cress was forming healthy-looking roots and settling in nicely. Within weeks it was huge! And soon tall white flowers were towering over the frogs and pixies! I thinned it out to enable me to see the water. And now, 9 months later and the following January, it is still alive and the water crystal clear, despite one or two nights where the pond froze completely. I am confident, as the temperatures rise again in spring, that the cress will grow nicely again, but if it doesn't, a quick trip to Sainsbury's and I can get some more.



4 comments:

  1. Very nice Adam. Actually amazing just with watercress from a supermarket. We have a small pond as well with a few plants. And it has been frozen as well. But I see new green leaves already and hope it will be allright. Enjoy! 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bas! Great to hear from you! They are a great idea these little ponds. Mine has given me a lot of enjoyment for about £2. Does yours have any wildlife? Personally I'm quite glad mine doesn't....! My neighbour said it would be good to see a frog 🐸

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Adam. Came across your blog again. I think that little pond is pretty neat. How about adding another with a Japanese goldfish or two. Oxygenated water may pose a problem, though. I don't know how active you are on the amateur radio bands, but I would suggest giving underdog qrper JF9AWX on u-tube a view. Very Zen philosophy regarding QRP operating. Very good videos ...several in particular.

    GL es 73 de Dick F8WBD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ni Hao Dick, great to hear from you again. I am actually building a second larger pond and hadn't thought about putting fish in it. Whole new learning experience. I came across a few people building similar ponds with, is it Koi, in the pond. Underdog QRP videos fascinating. Low-power operating does seem to lend itself to zen philosophy doesn't it. I have sold my HF Gear but have been thinking about getting back into it and the videos have inspired me. Thanks for that. How are you doing? It's been a while since we last spoke. Much has changed I should think. I will have a look at your blog this evening. Stand by for comments! 73 Adam

    ReplyDelete