Thursday 2 October 2014

Penhale Sands Transmitting Station, Cornwall

I have just returned from a holiday to Holywell Bay in Cornwall, and on the cliffs above the valley lies the old MoD training camp "Penhale Sands". I understand it has been sold by the MoD but is still used to train military personnel. But my own interest in the camp is the huge array of aerials up on the cliffs. I read on the UDXF Yahoo Group that Penhale Sands is one of a number of European transmitting sites for the UK DHFCS ALE network. If you scan the freqs with PC-ALE or MultiPSK you get TWS messages with the code "XSS" (there are other codes and some people have heard flights req weather info in digital format). So I was extremely interested to see the antennas and thought I would post one or two of the photos. (I did wonder if I was allowed to do this, it being a military installation, so wouldn't be surprised if the photos get removed, but anyway, here they are:












2 comments:

  1. Hello Adam, very interesting post. Looks like some magnetic loops. If you weren't allowed to photograph these or publish you wouldn't be able to get that close I guess. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bas! Good to hear from you. Thanks for the comment and for reading the blog. I regret I am fast leaving amateur radio behind and my last HF contact was so long ago I have forgotten when. Still on 2M for a weekly net though. Hope all is good with you. Best 73, Adam

    ReplyDelete