Monday 15 October 2012

German Air Force on HF

I have been doing an HF scan on my Icom 703 of 20 or so European military SSB voice frequencies, primarily Navy and Air Force, for an hour or so each morning for several months now. I no longer hear the Italian Air Force and Navy like I did last autumn and in fact have heard so little I was beginning to wonder if during this short space of 12 months a lot of the military had dropped the use of HF. As I have mentioned recently, the French Air Force and Navy are active on HF, as indeed are the Portuguese Air Force.
What a joy, then, this morning to hear much activity on the German Air Force frequency of 5687 with callsigns GAF041 and 033 calling in with solid signals and departure and arrival times in a mix of German and English language. I even heard mention of "frequency kilo" which I understand is 8965khz. So a little later in the day I will try that one for a few hours and see what I hear.

If anyone has any more information on HF voice frequencies used by the military, please do drop me a line, either via the comments page of the blog or via my email mentioned in the profile. I would love to hear from you.

In the meantime I will keep monitoring and report anything interesting here on the blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Adam. I came across your SWL blog today. I do remember you from an earlier amateur-radio blog that you maintained. Hope you are doing OK. Have a good holiday season.

    73 Dick F8WBD/N2UGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dick, thanks for looking at the blog. I only do it as I was myself looking for some more up-to-date info on military stuff on HF and thought it may be helpful. i've been busy building stuff lately (ATU, loops that sort of basic thing). Je vous souhaite un bon noel en France! I read you'd made the big move, so more importantly I hope YOU are doing ok! 73 Adam

    ReplyDelete